Call for volunteers
With FOSDEM just around the corner, it is time for us to enlist your help.
Every year, an enthusiastic band of volunteers helps us make FOSDEM a fun and safe place for all our attendees. We could not do this without you. This year we again need as many hands as possible, especially during the buildup (starting Friday at noon) and teardown (Sunday evening). No need to worry about missing lunch. Food will be provided.
If you have some spare time during the weekend and would like to be a part of the team that makes FOSDEM tick... We need help with the following:
- Build-up - Setting up the venue on Friday: this mostly involves carrying tables to their destinations and setting them up, putting up signage, covering the walls in brown paper... in short: transform the campus into a conference venue. We need as many volunteers as possible for this task.
- Network - Deploying the network on Friday: rolling out, neatly securing and crimping UTP cables. People with experience rolling out networks and crimping cables are very welcome!
- Infodesk - Available at the infodesk during the weekend: help out fellow attendees with their questions, sell t-shirts etc.. Proficiency in English is a must, but if you are proficient in other languages as well, it certainly wouldn't hurt.
- Heralding - Briefly introduce the speakers and the topics of their talks, make sure all talks end on time by giving speakers cues near the end of their time slot. Keep an eye out on room safety and report potential issues such as overcrowded rooms before it becomes more than a "potential" issue.
- Safety - Keep an eye out for hazardous situations such as patches of ice that could trip people up, overcrowded rooms etc.. This also involves barring entrance to rooms that are at full capacity so we can keep the conference safe for everyone. This can be combined with moderation.
- Video - Capturing and recording video. Ensure the livestreams to thousands are up and running and all talks are recorded.
- Tear-down - (and cleanup) on Sunday evening: collecting beer bottles, tearing down the network, pulling brown paper off the walls, taking down the signage, stacking the rental tables in neat heaps, broom the floors etc.. Basically, make sure we're welcome again next year.
For more information, please have a look at our updated volunteer FAQ
If any or all of these sound like your kind of gig, pick your task(s) at our volunteer tool, subscribe to the volunteers mailing list and keep an eye on #fosdem-volunteers on freenode (also available via webchat). Feel free to shout out and introduce yourself!